Thursday, July 06, 2006

Different Class





















Last summer, I had the pleasure of directing the first
sessions of the FivePoints academic program at
Union College. Pictures from our first summer will
soon be available on the online program catalogue. I've
been working
via internet to build on the program
description in the old catalogue to better reflect our
approach. If you click on the link now, you will see our
first catalogue with pictures borrowed from related
programs and our first set of course offerings. Our
course selection will be modified for next
summer, including the addition of a Comics and Graphic
Novels class, which, of course, I am very excited about.

One of my staff members gave me the song below on a mix CD.
The lyrics are kind of corny, but I think they speak to some
of our goals.
Mixing elements of Bob Dylan and Nirvana, 19
year old Willy Mason took the indie world by storm with the
following song:

I wanna be better than oxygen
So you can breathe when you're drowning and weak in the knees
I wanna speak louder than Ritalin
For all the children who think that they've got a disease
I wanna be cooler than t.v.
For all the kids that are wondering what they are going to be

We can be stronger than bombs
If you're singing along and you know that you really believe
We can be richer than industry
As long as we know that there's things that we don't really need
We can speak louder than ignorance
Cause we speak in silence every time our eyes meet.

On and on, and on, and on it goes
The world it just keeps spinning

Until i'm dizzy, time to breathe

So close my eyes and start again anew.

FROM "OXYGEN" BY WILLY MASON